text/ phone : 410-493-0172
"Besides this fear of danger there is no danger here, and those that fear danger deserve their fear."
Hello, my name is Mark Nostrant. I am the owner and the teacher of The Baltimore Chess Academy. Thank you for visiting the website and taking a few minutes to share in my love for chess.
I am a experienced tournament chess player and an instructor/teacher.
I started my chess education in the 60's & 70's by self study, and by playing in tournaments on the high school chess team.
In order to improve chess skills at that time there were books and a national magazine. I educated myself by studying all of the world chess champions, openings, middlegames, and end games.
I have studied chess through out my life and still participate occasionally in chess tournaments, on line play, as well as teaching chess.
Throughout the years I have been a member of United States Chess Federation as well as a club tournament director.
The introductory charge for chess training is , ($25) per lesson for the first month. After the first month the charge is $30 per lesson. After that first month it is possible to do some lessons online if you want. Lessons are scheduled in advance for your convenience and I will call or email the day before the lesson. Cancellation needs to be done 24 hours in advance notice needs to be made on text or email. Homework is assigned but of course it is optional, make up lessons are online.
My formal education includes a Master degree in Science Education. I have taught physics, chemistry, and biology in high school.
About my family:
I am married and live in Carney/ Parkville north of the 695 beltway.
My goal is to share my skills and my talent with the new learners of chess.
Peak US Chess Federation Rating classical time limits: 1973
Peak Lichess (online) rating with Classical time limits: 2240
- High School won the United States Junior national "C" division 1970 and shortest game award.
- 80's - 90's Won the Bloomington Indiana open 1995 1st place.
- 1st place "A" section Chicago open 1992.
- Tied 1st place North Bay international open 1997 A section.
- During the 90's I was the team captain in the Cleveland Chess league of the "wolf pack" chess team.
- First place winner of the Erie, Pennsylvania City Chess championship 1997.
- 1970's Chess teacher for the Ohio University office of continuing education for four years.
- 1998-2002 summer teacher for the College for kids (elementary ages).
- Hosted a high school chess club at Lansdowne High School 2003-2009.
- Currently I am an after school chess instructor for Silver Knights, and teach privately.
If you would like to find out about tournaments
in Maryland and other chess resources go
online to the Maryland Chess Association
"Those that take the queens knight pawn with the queen sleep in the subway."
I A Horowitz
(in other words do not get your queen sidelined in pursuit of a gambit pawn)